Swarthmore Housing Society Ltd is a not-forâ€“profit Quaker residential care home with up to 40 residents, and 50 staff. Trustees form a Committee of Management serving on a voluntary basis, most of whom are Quakers, but not all. We are in need of a trustee with a background in finance to support other trustees in understanding this area of responsibility.
The Treasurer is a trustee of Swarthmore Housing Society Limited and shares responsibility with the rest of the board for the governance of the organisation. Ideally our Treasurer should have a professional accountancy qualification, but this is not essential if they have other appropriate experience. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds.
Specifically, they are responsible for:-
- Supporting trustees in understanding the financial position of the charity and the financial implications of decisions they are making, in particular; monitor the organisationâ€™s income and expenditure position and in conjunction with our Finance Manager present accessible reports at least quarterly to ensure board members understand the accounts and implications
- Exercising oversight of and contributing to the preparation of the annual budget
- Ensuring that the organisation has an appropriate reserves policy and a realistic budget that meets the servicesâ€™ needs
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Working with Board and Senior Management Team to give information an advice on financial matters
- Being able to explain complex financial information in an accessible way
Trustees are required to attend board meetings once every two months, at Jordans Meeting House in Buckinghamshire,
and to visit the home on a reasonably regular basis.
The position is unpaid, but reasonable out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
Terms of Appointment
As Treasurer you will be appointed for an initial term of 3 years, and will be eligible for re-appointment for one
additional term (maximum 6 years).
You may also contact the Chair of Trustees Malcolm Barnett on 01491 571173 or email any questions to him at email@example.com