Experience at Manager or Director level in the care sector would be helpful, but by no means essential and some knowledge of, and interest in, the Religious Society of Friends and it's ethos would be helpful. We are looking for Trustees from a diverse range of backgrounds.
The trustee's role is to be the General Trustee.
Swarthmore Housing Society Ltd is a not-for–profit Quaker residential care home with up to 40 residents, and 50 staff. Trustees form a Committee of Management serving on a voluntary basis, most of whom are Quakers, but not all.
We are looking for those who:
* have a genuine interest in, and enthusiasm for residential care for the elderly
* want to work as part of a team, committed to making a real difference to the quality of life for all the Home’s residents
* will enjoy developing productive working relationships with fellow trustees and staff
* ‘Guardians of purpose’, making sure that all decisions put the needs of the residents first
As a trustee you will help to ensure that:
* the home has a clear strategy, and that its ethos and goals are in line with its Quaker values
* physical assets are safeguarded – including property
* non-physical assets are safeguarded – in particular its reputation
* the home is sustainable and carries an appropriate level of reserves
* senior managers are advised, supported and challenged to help to ensure that the home is managed effectively and efficiently
* staff are managed fairly and considerately, and that HR policies and practices support such an approach
* the home provides a safe environment for its residents and adheres fully to all safeguarding requirements
* the home operates within statutory, regulatory and inspection frameworks
* the annual budget is overseen and reviewed
* income and expenditure are carefully monitored
Trustees are required to attend board meetings once every two months and to visit the home on a reasonably regular basis. You will be appointed for an initial term of 3 years and will be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term (maximum 6 years).
The position is unpaid, but reasonable out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
Please contact the Chair of Trustees Malcolm Barnett on 01491 571173 or email any questions to: Trustees@swarthmorecarehome.org.uk